Monday, August 6, 2007

Ward Greene

I've just started this blog .
Therefore ,because up to my proverbial ears in other work, and until I get the hang of this , just letting you know some of my interests.
(1) I have been working on my genealogy,my family tree for my assorted surnames located in Newfoundland and USA and Ireland.
So far I have compiled 71 pages on "Judge Families of Newfoundland". I have found that everyone with the Judge surname in Newfoundland over the past 200 years or so is related to me. So,if you know of anyone related to the surname Judge,anywhere in the world,who also has a connection to Newfoundland(Nfld.) at any time in the past,please contact me and help fill in my family tree.
The surname is of Irish origin,and most likely from Connaught area of Ireland,which means up around Sligo,Roscommon,Mayo,Leitrim counties. The previous Gaelic spelling was Breheny and similar, and there is an older longer Gaelic spelling. The name is closely tied to the McDermott clan of that area.
I am especially looking for ANY information on ANY man or family named Judge who moved from Ireland to Newfoundland before 1838.This would give me a link to the specific family branch in Ireland.

(2)Point Verde Greenes...meaning the Greene family of Point Verde,Newfoundland,Canada. Newfoundland was a separate country up until 1949,and so it's hard to find much information on Canadian sites etc.,and they mainly,quite understandably,give genealogy information on Ontario and Quebec,which were known as Upper Canada and Lower Canada.And then some information on Nova Scotia. But almost nothing on Nfld.
My GGG-GF (great etc. grandfather) came in from Boston,Massachusetts about late 1778,with his brother Robert, leaving a third brother behind,either in Boston or perhaps Nova Scotia. They had previously been trading back and forth to Placentia,Nfld.,on their own schooner,and the possibility seems to be that the family was already established in Placentia,Nfld.,and may have simply been returning home.Robert had apparently fought briefly on USA side in Revolution,and John was a Quaker not wanting to join either side.
Their father Michael Green(no e,it seems)...one wonders where he suddenly appeared from... bought huge land in nearby point Verde in 1803. The deed is on the net if you go to Google and type in ...deed,Point Verde,Costebelle,1803...that means it's an old French deed , as the land used to belong to the French governor Costebelle prior to 1713 when the area was taken over by the English.
Anyway,I have managed to accumulate 134 pages on my Greene family so far. As well as the obvious Newfoundland members,there are maybe up to 10,000 or more relatives who have lived or are living in USA since early 1800s.
So again,if your own ancestry includes someone from Placentia,Nfld. area,do contact me and compare notes. I am also related to many,many other surnames from that area,mainly Irish surnames.
This means I am,for example,looking for Corbin,Bradshaw,Clancy,Hill,Burke,Power,Larkin, and a lot of others from late 1700s onwards.
Also family tradition says one of our ancestors was a john Green(e) who arrived in New England in early 1600s before either he,or more likely a descendant,moved on to Nfld.
And one more, Pike family. A man named Pike,presumably a relative as he was from the same town s my Pike ancestors in England, was in Nfld. in 1510,for the summer fishery. Then the Pikes from that area (Dorset) settled in Nfld. in early 1600s, and from those Pikes they came down to my GGF,John Gilbert Pike of Salmonier,Nfld., and his daughter, my maternal grandmother.
Go to Google and type in .... Princess Sheila,Gilbert Pike...for some interesting family mythology or history...we're not exactly certain.
So...do I have any as yet unknown relatives out there ?

Ward

1 comment:

1wisdomhouse said...

I have been researching my family for almoast 2 years. The James Gooby who left Newfoundland to settle in Boston MA is my great great grandfather.His son, James Ingram, married Mary Hoffman and they had one son, Wallace, who died in infancy and 6 daughters: Ruth, Marion, Barbara, Virginia, Doris and Edith. My grandmother, Marion Phyllis Gooby, married John Frederick Fossett. (John's people came from Maine) John and Marion had 4 children: Barbara Ruth, Phyllis Marion, John Jr and Russell James. They left the east coast when their eldest daughter graduated from high school and resettled on the west coast. They lived in the Los Angeles area until retirement, then moved north to the small town of Redding, CA. My grandparents had many good times and many good years before John passed away in the 55 year of his age. Marion continued to reign as matriarch until the year 2000, then passed, peacefully in her sleep at the age of 86. My name is Cheryl Ann Fossett McGraw, the oldest of John and Marion's grandchildren.

I want to thank you for the tremendous effort you put forth and amazing work you have accomplished in creating these family trees. I would not have come so far without the fruit of your labor. I hope you will consider contacting meat your earliest convenience as I would love to know so much more about my family, in particular, and Newfoundland, in general. My email address is : cheryl.a.mcgraw@gmail.com You can also contact me by snail mail sent to 1953 Cameo Ct Redding, CA 96002